The Felix Project is a London charity working with food suppliers and charities to reduce food waste and food poverty. We collect food from supermarkets, wholesalers and other food suppliers - food that is fresh and nutritious, but cannot be sold for various reasons. We deliver that food free of charge to charities which provide meals, snacks or food parcels for their clients, including the elderly, the homeless, people with mental health issues, refugees and asylum seekers and vulnerable families and children. We simply want to see good food go to good causes.
Job Title: Packing Team Leader
Reporting To: Kitchen Manager
Salary: £23,750 per annum
Contract type: Fixed term contract, 2 year, full-time
Number of Roles: 1
About The Felix Project
The Felix Project is London's biggest food redistribution charity and the largest end-to-end food redistribution charity in Europe. Our vision is a London where no one goes hungry and good food is never wasted. We rescue surplus food from businesses, supermarkets, restaurants and farms. This food is nutritious, in-date, and safe and includes a high proportion of fresh vegetables, fruit, meat and fish. If we did not rescue this food, it would be at risk of going to waste. Instead, we deliver it free of charge to London charities, schools, food banks, COVID food hubs and other organisations serving people in need. Our food is a vital lifeline for children and families, people on low incomes, people who have lost their jobs, the homeless, refugees, domestic abuse survivors, the elderly and keyworkers. We were founded in 2016 in memory of Felix Byam Shaw, by his father, entrepreneur Justin Byam Shaw.
Purpose of the Job
As a Packing Team Leader you are responsible for the packing area of Felix's Kitchen and the correct packing, storing and distribution of all meals and components. You also assist the Head Chef and Kitchen Manager in the smooth running of the kitchen and wider food based events. You are responsible for maintaining the quality and standards of the kitchen and ensuring all meals and/or components of meals are packed and handled as agreed with the line manager. You ensure that all HACCP procedures are followed. Also responsible for ensuring the goods in and fridges are maintained following all Food Safety procedures. You assist other staff and volunteers when they need help to ensure the smooth running of the operation.
Responsibilities & tasks
- Responsible for the smooth running of the packing area of Felix's Kitchen
- Ensure that your part of the kitchen is operating efficiently and safely
- Assist with the quality control of the cooked and packed meals and that all correct HACCP procedures are followed and recorded
- Lead on the daily volunteer training, welfare and supervision * Assist with all goods coming in the kitchen and the correct storage and recording of these, HACCP is in place
- Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the packing and goods areas
- Act as a local ambassador for The Felix Kitchen, engaging with our community
- Responsible for food hygiene practices and health & safety procedures.
The Felix Project recognises the positive value of diversity and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. We encourage applications from all suitably qualified or experienced individuals, regardless of their race, gender, biological sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
You are a people person with good leadership skills and the ability to work with others, enjoying the challenges and opportunities of working with such a diverse team of people. A passion to tackle food waste and poverty, taking real pride in the difference you can make. Keen to improve yourself and your operation every day and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
Skills & qualifications
Essential skills/knowledge relevant to this role:
* Previous experience of working in a fast-paced food environment
* Knowledge and experience with implementing HACCP procedures
* Ability to work within a team of varied individuals with a positive attitude
* Good organisation skills and attention to detail
* Basic PC skills
* Willingness to engage in physical work as part of your daily job
* Very strong work ethic and ability to work in a fast passed and dynamic environment
Desirable skills/knowledge relevant to this role:
* Committed to reducing food waste and fighting food poverty
* Flexibility in terms of working hours
* A confident speaker with the ability to engage with people of all levels
How to apply
Please apply via our recruitment portal Please upload your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role (and make sure that they’re both uploaded before submitting your application).
After you have submitted your application, you have 24 hours in which you can access you application and make edits. We suggest that you complete one last proof-read after submission and double check that your CV etc. uploaded correctly.
Recruitment timeline: we will be assessing applications as they come in so please apply as soon as possible.
Is something wrong with this job posting? Doesn't match your idea of good?
Let us know and help us maintain the quality of jobs.