The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good.
OCCRP is seeking to hire a regional Latin America Engagement Coordinator to join the team of cross-border investigative journalists and editors. The Latin America Engagement Coordinator will work to gain new Spanish-speaking audiences and increase our reach in Latin America by designing a social media and communications strategy and looking for new areas of engagement with universities, civil society, and journalism organizations.
This is a multidisciplinary position, requiring cross-team collaboration and is ideal for a self-starter. In this position, you will work directly with OCCRP’s Latin American editorial team and coordinate with the global communications and engagement teams.
We are looking for a creative person with strong communication skills, who is a native Spanish speaker and fluent in English, and who can work efficiently across OCCRP teams, and with partners and other external organizations.
Responsibilities & tasks
● Build OCCRP’s digital audience in Spanish.
● Design a strategy to create new social media channels for OCCRP in Spanish.
● Manage and schedule OCCRP’s social media feeds in Spanish.
● Coordinate with global engagement editor and local partners to promote investigations in Spanish.
● Write and launch OCCRP's newsletter in Spanish and maintain and build readership.
● Get OCCRP’s stories covered in partner and non-partner media outlets.
● Coordinate the dissemination of OCCRP investigations creating and maintaining alliances with media outlets and key stakeholders.
● Help build alliances with universities, civil society, and journalism organizations.
● Organize webinars, seek and support events to promote OCCRP’s work.
● Develop content for the e-learning platform.
● Support OCCRP’s Latin American team efforts to translate stories of interest for the Latin American audience.
● Support OCCRP Latin American team submitting applications to journalism awards.
● Bachelor's degree required or equivalent work.
● Native Spanish speaker.
● Excellent command of the English language (oral and written skills). Portuguese is a plus.
● Experienced at social media platforms in social media management.
● Fluency in writing and editing.
● Previous experience in communication roles is mandatory.
● Previous experience in a media organization will be highly valued
Skills & qualifications
● Proactive initiator who will drive the organization forward.
● Highly organized, attention to detail.
● An excellent, fast writer whose copy, social media or otherwise, will require little editing.
● Ability to think about new and creative ways of reaching new audiences.
● Ability to generate and support new alliances with key players.
● Ability to prioritize, coordinate, lead and put together social media strategies and a newsletter.
● Possess a regional network of contacts among universities, journalists and NGOs
● Possess strong communication skills suited to working remotely and coordinating promotion.
● Ability to efficiently translate English to Spanish
How to apply
To apply, please send your detailed resume and cover letter explaining why you want to work with OCCRP and what you will add.
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr(at)occrp.org.
Is something wrong with this job posting? Doesn't match your idea of good?
Let us know and help us maintain the quality of jobs.