Full Stack Engineer (Ruby on Rails) at Beam
Transforming how the world supports those left behind, through the power of people and technology 🚀
At Beam, our vision is to create a more just society by building radically better services and technology for those most in need.
We've already transformed the lives of hundreds of homeless people by supporting them through training, into rewarding work and stable homes.
We've done that by crowdfunding almost £2 million from over 10,000 supporters and building genuinely ground-breaking products.
We're a wildly ambitious team, backed by some of the world's leading tech investors and led by a hugely experienced, hands-on founding team.
We're a crew of friendly, collaborative problem-solvers who live by our core values of transparency and supporting each other.
We also get to do some fun things - like go to Downing Street :)
And we're seriously just getting started. Read more about our company culture in Beam Life on our careers page. (https://beam.org/careers)
Responsibilities & tasks
Life as a Developer at Beam
We're looking for someone to work closely with Julian (https://www.linkedin.com/in/juliankeenaghan/ - that's me, the guy who built Beam!) to help shape and build the future of our tools and products.
You and I would spend a lot of time pair programming, brainstorming hard problems, prototyping different ideas, throwing them away, and prototyping them again. You wouldn't be just churning through tickets in a backlog — you'd be helping to design entirely new products, figuring out what exactly we're even building and why.
You'd spend your time developing and improving existing projects, for example:
- Building internal tools for our team to help as many people as efficiently as possible
- An entirely new onboarding flow for our beneficiaries
- Giving increased transparency to our supporters on the impact of their donations
- Snazzy reporting products giving unprecedented insights for government customers
- Optimising our products so that they are snappy and performant for all of our users
- Check out this interview with one of Beam's Full Stack Engineers on the Beam blog (https://blog.beam.org/an-interview-with-alex-rudall-senior-full-stack-developer/)
What tech do we use?
Our priority is to ship maintainable, reliable systems. To date we've done that using:
- Ruby on Rails on the back-end
- Vue JS, Tailwind CSS and ERB for front-end
- Heroku, AWS for hosting
- PostgreSQL, Airtable for databases
- RSpec, Sidekiq, Stripe, Twilio, Slack, Mailchimp
Skills & qualifications
You should apply if:
- You’re already a great Ruby developer, well versed in engineering best practices, including version control, test-driven development and continuous integration
- You have at least 4+ years of engineering experience in a high-growth tech startup or leading global tech company
- You write clean, performant and well-documented code
- You have experience building web products and services and have an awareness of technologies across the stack
- You care about building reliable, well-tested systems
- You have a product mindset: you care about customer outcomes and you want to make data-informed decisions
- You have an entrepreneurial, get things done attitude
- You'll contribute to fostering a culture of psychological safety, inclusivity, collaboration and continuous improvement within the team through participation in retrospectives and feedback
- You're passionate about social mobility
We have a strong preference for London-based engineers who can regularly meet the team to problem solve in person. We do hire outside of the UK in locations within +/- 3 hours of GMT.
About the team
We’re a team of over 70 working from our beautiful co-working space in Shoreditch and from home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from our former Queen!) We’re one of the 10 hottest startups in London, according to WIRED magazine and one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups list for 2022. We’re also proud to be rated a top company to work for Escape the City, Tempo and The Dots.
We’re committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here and we love to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage. 63% of people we support are from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we serve these people best when we’re a diverse and inclusive team
How to apply
Please apply by filling in all your details and answering the following questions:
1. Please let us know (either in a video or in writing) why you care deeply about our mission and why you have the capabilities and drive to help us accomplish it (in this role)
2. What's your GitHub profile?
Is something wrong with this job posting? Doesn't match your idea of good?
Let us know and help us maintain the quality of jobs.