Director of People and Talent at Beam
Transforming how the world supports those left behind, through the power of people and technology 🚀
At Beam, you get to do work that really matters. We’re solving the world’s toughest social problems. And we’re growing fast 🚀
It’s not easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. But we take care of everyone who works here with everything from coaching to personal budgets and pay highly competitively.
You’ll be joining a company that’s having a huge impact on people’s lives with a culture where you can be yourself, have fun and progress rapidly.
About the role:
This is an unrivalled opportunity to join the leadership team of the UK’s leading tech for good and one of the Hottest 10 Startups in London according to WIRED magazine.
Reporting directly to Beam’s CEO, Alex Stephany, you’ll play a uniquely impactful role in transforming the lives of thousands - and soon, millions - of the most disadvantaged people in the UK and beyond.
As Director of People and Talent, you’re building, developing and retaining the high performance team who deliver on our mission.
A proven leader with an exceptional track record across people, talent and culture-building, you’re ready for a role with incomparable legacy.
Please note this role is London based, requiring a minimum two days per week in our London office. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
Responsibilities & tasks
- Developing and leading the People and Talent strategy to attract, hire, retain and develop a high performing team
- Building and coaching People and Talent teams that strengthen our culture and execute with focus and impact on strategy in the short, medium and long-term goals
- Leading Talent to attract and hire an exceptional, diverse team
- Building a compelling employer brand which attracts the best talent in the startup ecosystem and further afield
- Building our recruitment capabilities, including software, sourcing, ATS workflow management and channel optimisation
- Managing company-wide hiring forecasts and capacity planning
- Personally leading the hiring process for senior leadership roles including sourcing, interviewing and partnering with agencies
- Leading People to build an inclusive, high-performance culture
- Leading on all aspects of People: everything from pay and benefits to progression, performance management and day-to-day HR processes
- Providing strategic direction and sponsorship to Beam’s employee resource group (“Be Me”), and driving our D&I goals
- Proactively identifying and managing retention and performance risks
- Partnering with managers to continually raise the bar on the quality of management across functions, engagement and employee wellbeing
- Partnering with SLT and the wider business to build our culture as we scale, ensuring our values are effectively embedded into everything we do
- Passionate about innovation and social impact and committed to promoting equality of opportunity in the UK and far beyond
- Action-oriented and highly adaptable - you're a natural problem solver able to break down complex problems into simple solutions
- Excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves and building People and Talent functions almost from scratch as we scale
- A natural leader. Extremely emotionally intelligent and able to build strong working relationships with anyone
- Deeply analytical, as comfortable digging into data as you working collaboratively with your team
- Exceptionally high integrity and used to handling confidential and sensitive information
Skills & qualifications
- Experience and demonstrable impact as part of a senior team in a high-growth startup, ideally leading People and Talent functions
- A track record for implementing at pace and building out simple processes in a rapidly scaling team
- A passion for building a highly engaged, high performance, inclusive team
- An inspirational and pragmatic leader, you know how to manage and get the best out of a team
- Results driven; you know the impact a people function can have, and are obsessed with understanding drivers of performance
- Exceptional communication and writing skills - you communicate clearly, concisely and positively
- An understanding of relevant HR legislation and the right priorities for a business of our stage
About the team
We’re a team of over 70 working from our beautiful co-working space in Shoreditch and from home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from our former Queen!) We’re one of the 10 hottest startups in London, according to WIRED magazine and one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups list for 2022. We’re also proud to be rated a top company to work for Escape the City, Tempo and The Dots.
We’re committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here and we love to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage. 63% of people we support are from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we serve these people best when we’re a diverse and inclusive team.
How to apply
Please apply by filling in all your details and letting us know (either in a video or in writing) why you care deeply about our mission and why you have the capabilities and drive to help us accomplish it (in this role)
Is something wrong with this job posting? Doesn't match your idea of good?
Let us know and help us maintain the quality of jobs.