Director of Operations at Beam
Transforming how the world supports those left behind, through the power of people and technology 🚀
At Beam, you get to do work that really matters. We’re solving the world’s toughest social problems. And we’re growing fast 🚀
It’s not easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. But we take care of everyone who works here with everything from coaching to personal budgets and pay highly competitively.
You’ll be joining a company that’s having a huge impact on people’s lives with a culture where you can be yourself, have fun and progress rapidly.
About the role
This is an unrivalled opportunity to join the leadership team of the UK’s leading tech for good and one of the Hottest 10 Startups in London according to WIRED magazine.
Reporting directly to Beam’s CEO, Alex Stephany, you’ll play a uniquely impactful role in transforming the lives of thousands - and soon, millions - of the most disadvantaged people in the UK and beyond.
As Director of Operations, you will lead the largest and fastest growing team within the business who deliver our employment service, and will scale our model in the next chapter of our growth.
A proven leader with an exceptional track record scaling teams and operational processes, you’re ready for a role with incomparable legacy.
Please note this role is UK based, and we are unable to sponsor visas at this time
Responsibilities & tasks
- As only the fourth hire into Beams Senior Leaderships Team, you will play a key role in shaping Beam’s long-term strategy
- Leading and rapidly building our operational team:
- Significantly scaling the team by working with our Talent and People teams to attract,
hire and onboarding some of the best talent out there
- Maintaining our high-performance and fun culture where your team is happy, focused
and deeply motivated to succeed
- Coaching, developing and role modelling for our talented managers who’ll report to you
- Building a strong and supportive team culture that’s aligned to our core values
- Scaling our impact by taking our delivery model to the next level
- Driving continuous improvement through a culture of disciplined experimentation,
including by working collaboratively with our Product & Engineering team
- Staying closely connected to the operational work of your junior team to ensure our
model is as safe, human and scalable as possible
- Taking overall responsibility for departmental KPIs and leading indicators
- Passionate about innovation and social impact and committed to promoting equality of opportunity in the UK and far beyond
- Action-oriented and highly adaptable - you're a natural problem solver able to break down complex problems into simple solutions
- An exceptionally talented people leader with a stellar track record of building and leading empathetic and diverse teams
- Excited by building a world-class team with a high-performance culture that balances social impact with team wellbeing
- A deeply analytical systems-thinker who thrives at the intersection of people and process
- Excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves and getting close to the day to day front line deliver
Skills & qualifications
- >5 years leadership experience in a leading Series A (or beyond) VC-backed tech start up
- A proven track record of delivering impact in an operational role: you’ve helped scale a business before and are excited to do it again
- Significant people management experience - you have experience leading teams of at least 20 people - and are unfazed at the challenge of building teams into the hundreds
- Experience creating and scaling operational, end-to-end processes in a complex environment
- Exceptional communication and writing skills - you communicate clearly, concisely and positively
About the team
We’re a team of over 70 working from our beautiful co-working space in Shoreditch and from home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from our former Queen!) We’re one of the 10 hottest startups in London, according to WIRED magazine and one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups list for 2022. We’re also proud to be rated a top company to work for Escape the City, Tempo and The Dots.
We’re committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here and we love to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage. 63% of people we support are from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we serve these people best when we’re a diverse and inclusive team.
How to apply
Please apply by filling in all your details and letting us know (either in a video or in writing) why you care deeply about our mission and why you have the capabilities and drive to help us accomplish it (in this role)
Is something wrong with this job posting? Doesn't match your idea of good?
Let us know and help us maintain the quality of jobs.