The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good.
OCCRP is looking for a tech-savvy data journalist to work closely with both its data team and its Africa desk. Your job will be to help the Africa team identify interesting data that is publicly available, find story leads in our existing data troves, and scope out data-intensive projects for journalistic value and technical feasibility.
The position is a remote, though you must be based in sub-Saharan Africa and a citizen of a country in the region. Fluent spoken and written English is required. French or Portuguese language skills are a strong plus.
Team: Africa Team
Responsibilities & tasks
● Data: Working with our reporters to make effective use of large document troves and public records to find story leads related to crime and corruption. That includes cleaning data and making it accessible, as well as understanding the journalistic value of a dataset. You will be trained to work with Aleph, which houses thousands of datasets: leaks, company and property registries, and public records.
● Scraping and cleaning: Identifying datasets that are of interest to OCCRP’s journalists in Africa and downloading them from websites or acquiring them through requests. You will be trained in the memorious framework that OCCRP uses for scraping.
● Training: Running introductory trainings in English or French for journalists in our network, introducing them to our tools such as ID and Aleph.
Skills & qualifications
● A good grasp of Python, Linux command-line tools, and SQL.
● Comfort with handling and manipulating data.
● Experience in making use of publicly available open sources of information in the region.
● Being able to scrape data from websites is a plus.
● Knowledge of and relationships with the data community/hacktivists in the region.
● Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with the rest of the team and our partners.
● A passion for combating corruption and conducting forensic investigations.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume.
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr(at)occrp.org
Is something wrong with this job posting? Doesn't match your idea of good?
Let us know and help us maintain the quality of jobs.